Friday 21 September 2012

Cross Vegas version 2012

Alright ..... Here we go again!!! Cross season is in full swing. And I'm starting it off in style again. This past weekend was the first Cross on the Rocks race right in Victoria.... Record number of starters too at 208!! Figuring I needed the extra workout I opted to race with the men. Little more elbow rubbing then usual and I nearly ended up on the ground on the start, but had a great time and finished 16th.

One day of work, then packed up and headed south to Las Vegas and to meet my new team, Stan's NoTubes Cyclocross Team. Great group of people involved with the team and supporting the team, I'm really excited about this year.

Cross Vegas kicks off the season as a very fast paced road style cross race, with awesome fan turn out and big names from all over the world. Coming off an Olympic year it was exceptionally fast this year, frothing at the mouth kind of fast. I managed to hang with the lead group for the first 3 laps, getting dropped a little on the straight aways (gotta learn how to take advantage of these big legs!) and making up time on the run ups/barriers and technical sections. Halfway through the 4th lap Georgia Gould attacked and that was it for me, just out of contact for a little, but slowly the gap grew. I battled hard for the next lap and a half, lost a few spots but managed to finish where I started, 15th.....same as last year.

Very first ride on my new Ridley X-Fire and WOW!!! I've been on Trek for so long I was kind of scared to try something different, but I was amazed and really happy with how stiff and responsive these bikes are. I'm ruined!!! Can't go back now. Also getting to try out the new Stan's Iron Cross tubeless wheels with the Kenda Komando was fantastic. After running tubulars last year I was sad to switch back to clinchers, but I have to say that these are pretty darn awesome!! Designed specifically to cross tires, with a slightly wider and shallower rim you can run lower pressure without having the tires roll on you. And you don't have to glue tubulars!!!!!!

Massive bonk last night packing up bikes and the van, didn't leave the venue till 12:30 in true morning. And being Vegas we were easily able to find some nasty Chinese food....really, this place is amazing...no silly is a better word for it. Trying to recover now in the Denver airport as we head over to Wisconsin for the first USGP weekend. FULL ON NOW!!!

No comments: